You want the most welcoming smile to make the best impression and provide a big boost to your self-esteem. Going beyond whitening and veneers, orthodontics is the dental practice specializing in treating misaligned teeth. But it’s not just a matter of appearance. Alignment issues often lead to major discomforts as well as tooth, gum, and jaw damage. In and around Lompoc, call Poole Orthodontics for quality care. Your health and comfort are our top priorities. No matter what your age we’re here to give you a beautiful smile.
Stacy L. Poole, DMD graduated with honors for a Doctorate of Dental Medicine and orthodontic residency certificate from the Medical College of Georgia. She is board-certified by the American Board of Orthodontics and is an active member of the American Association of Orthodontists as well as the Pacific Coast Society of Orthodontists.
Doctor Poole and her entire staff are dedicated to creating exceptional smiles through healthy teeth, gums, and jaws.
Orthodontics is often associated with cosmetic dentistry, but also also addresses some serious medical concerns, among them:
- over bite (where upper front teeth extend over the lower teeth),
- open bite (in which upper and lower teeth don’t overlap),
- cross bite (where upper teeth are inside lower teeth),
- excessive spacing, and
- protrusion of upper front teeth (buck-teeth).
Besides causing difficulties in biting and chewing, left untreated these can lead to various jaw and other problems with symptoms such as
- chronic pain in jaw muscles,
- frequent headaches,
- tooth sensitivity to cold,
- loose teeth,
- excessive tooth wear, and
- difficulty biting, chewing, or swallowing.
Proper treatment also reduces the likelihood of of tooth decay, gum disease, and bone loss.
Lompoc Pediatric Orthodontics
As with most things, early care avoids later problems. Around age 7 is a good time for an orthodontic checkup but check with us sooner if your child displays any of the above symptoms.
Dental Braces in Lompoc
Braces are the most often recommended procedure for adults as well as for kids. They’re safe and effective no matter what age you happen to be. These days most of our Lompoc patients have several options.
- Invisalign (R) involves a series of customized clear aligners. They’re nearly invisible and are much more comfortable so there’s no need to feel self-conscious concerning braces. They’re also removable for eating and brushing. Invisalign (R) adjusters are normally worn 20 to 22 hours each day for a period of 6 to 12 months. But periods of 18 to 24 months are sometimes necessary for more significant misalignments.
- Ceramic braces are mechanically similar to metal braces but are less noticeable by using either tooth-colored or translucent ceramic materials.
- Traditional metal braces are often preferred for more complex problems such as severely misaligned, rotated, extremely overcrowded, or widely-spaced teeth. They’re also preferred in dealing with differing tooth heights as well as more serious cross bite, over bite, and under bite. Metal braces are the most effective option, and modern designs are more comfortable.
- Lingual braces place the metal brackets out of sight behind your teeth and for many people provide the best combination of appearance, comfort, and effectiveness.
Dr. Pool will be happy to discuss the pros and cons of each option for your particular situation and your personal priorities to arrive at the the best treatment plan for you.
Custom Night Guards
Besides providing protection during sports activities, mouth guards protect against grinding your teeth in your sleep (bruxism). Over time that wears tooth enamel, leading to increased sensitivity, TMJ (jaw joint pain), and/or headaches. Bruxism may even lead to tooth, gum, and jaw injury. So a night guard can avoid potentially expensive crowns, root canals, dental implants, and bridges. A dental guard has several advantages compared to an over-the-counter purchase, starting with a professional bruxism tooth-grinding. Your guard will be a custom fit and have no interference with speech or breathing for the most comfortable and effective results.
Lompoc Orthodontic Surgery
Proper orthodontics can correct most problems, avoiding jaw surgery. But when your condition warrants Dr. Poole and her staff will take advanced x-rays and impressions for the best diagnosis. When necessary she can perform orthodontic surgery for the upper and/or lower jaw.
Lompoc, CA Growth
Incorporated in 1888, Lompoc California was originally named “lum poc” (meaning stagnant waters) by Chumash Native Americans. Nearby Vandenberg Air Force Base is known for its missile launches, was responsible for the city’s growth with its start as Camp Cooke in 1958. Lompoc expected even more growth through tourism with the planned launch of NASA’s Space Shuttles from Vandenberg, but that was canceled after the Challenger explosion in 1986. Now credited with being the “flower seed capital of the world,” Lompoc had grown to a population of 42,434 residents in 2010.